Why Me? Now What? (A Personal Journey Through Infertility)

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Gatherings with Friends

Last night was fun... a birthday party for a friend's husband provided us with an excuse to get out and socialize with friends and forget about the medications and procedures that were now consuming our lives. It was a nice break from the routine, and a much needed moment of relaxation. Mike has been working so much lately that I had hardly seen him. I quite literally have 10 minutes a night with him after he gets home from his second job and crawls into bed before passing out exhausted. I feel for him, the efforts and sacrifices he is having to make. I wonder some times if he resents the fact that I am still working my 1 job, while he is running himself to the breaking point so we can afford all of this. He doesn't seem to mind, but I can see the exhaustion in his face. I need to remind him more how much I love and appreciate him.

It's funny... even when you think you are removing yourself from the world of infertility for an evening, it still rears it's head and reminds you of where you are in the world. Almost the moment we arrived, another guest whom we hadn't seen since the couple's wedding 2 years earlier asked "So... having kids?" and I was reminded that this was what was expected of me. "We're trying" is all I said, hoping it would be enough, and luckily it was. Funny, even casual acquaintance have expectations for our fertility!

The night was nice, we hung out be the pool and munched on appetizers that she claimed to have slaved over all day (but confided in me, were actually from Costco) and laughed about silly unimportant things. Aside from the fact that not eating dairy and beef for the month leading up to my IVF transfer on the advice of my acupuncturist left me envious of everyone enjoying the delicious looking black forest cake, it almost seemed like we had taken a step back in time, and that for an evening; life was exactly as it should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home