Why Me? Now What? (A Personal Journey Through Infertility)

Monday, May 01, 2006

It's HAPPENING!!!

I knew today could be the day... that the phone would ring and this new chapter in my life would begin. I was told I would get the call if accepted this month sometime before Wednesday, so when the phone rang at just past 10am, the nurse on the other side of the line was the most blessed voice I had heard in months.

The call seemed cordial enough at first... "would I like to start IVF this cycle?" DUHHHHH of COURSE I would!!! ... she followed with a brief description of my suspected protocol, and then asked if I had any questions. Nope... my mind was racing in excitement, how would I have any questions at this stage? Then she brought up payment.... I explained that we were the couple that had won the silent auction for the IVF cycle and meds... she was THRILLED.... suddenly she went from a woman that was going through the motions, to be a friend that was excited for me! She hung up with me feeling excited and positive about what was going to take place!!! Not 5 minutes later she called me back.... confirming she had the right person on the phone, she quickly continued saying Dr. Greene had wanted to tell me he was thrilled I was finally starting IVF, and that he would do everything possible to get me pregnant. She also mentioned that he never does that, but in my case, since he had been the doctor to donate the cycle I had bid on at the auction, he wanted to wish me luck personally.... and so the new chapter began.

The next few weeks would be a whirl wind... I am to start taking a drug called Superfact on May 14th... 5 times a day I would be inhaling this nasal spray along with taking baby asprin. Then on the 29th of May I will be going in for my first U/S and Bloodwork to see how the Superfact is affecting my body and to ensure there are no cysts present. If all is good at the appointment, then I start injections that day until June 11th... WoW.... that is JUST over a month from now!!! That's when they plan to do the Egg retrieval and then 3 days later the Transfer!!!!

I am excited and nervous.... but so happy I could cry.

My boss happened to be in town today, preparing for a meeting later this week. I went for lunch with him to tell him that I would be unable to head off to Toronto in June as planned, since this would be around the time of the IVF. I cant tell you how great a man he is. Not only was he supportive and understanding, telling me I could take the time off with no worries, but he TALKED to me about how I was feeling and that he was proud and excited for us in this next step. Such a load has been taken off my shoulders knowing that I have his support through this, and that I have the time off work to concentrate on getting that elusive BFP.

So that was my day... full of excitement and joy... and as I sit here on the couch replaying my day I realize... this is really it; I am on the path to my new life... it IS happening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home