Why Me? Now What? (A Personal Journey Through Infertility)

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Another Day... another Ultrasound

Today is a better day, at least on the personal front. I have pushed my troubles with my "father" out of my consciousness until this whole journey is over. There are far more important challenges ahead, and I for one want to concentrate on those!

This morning's ultrasound brought welcome news at first, Dr. O'Keane was back!!! Surely this would be a good sign!! It's funny... how I have come to appreciate the doctors at my clinic for their respective traits. Dr. Greene for his shear brilliance and reputation in the fertility field. He is known and respected across Canada and is simply the best when it comes to infertility treatments; this undoubtedly deserves my respect! Then there is Dr. O'Keane... a little less smug, and the polar opposite of Dr. Greene in his demeanor. If for nothing else, Dr. O'Keane has my adoration simply for his bedside manner. I have to say, he is one of the nicest men to ever throw me in stirups and check out my Hoo-Haw with a camera.

So there I sat, bloated and uncomfortable, waiting to find out if I was progressing any better after the disappointing growth Tuesday. He said things looked good... they were finally all around 14 to 17mm... getting there, that is for sure. 10 now sat in the right ovary, and more than 14 were in the left. He seemed optimistic that I would soon see the day where I no longer had to self inject myself.

The only thing that seemed to bother him was the number of eggs... the only thing I had been excited about this whole time. Again he brought up the concern about the potential for OHSS. (Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome)... he said they would watch my estrogen levels closely in the next couple of days... since they wanted to allow the eggs to mature just a bit more, while not forcing my body into this dangerous tailspin.

When the blood work came back that afternoon, the nurse remarked that I was getting perilously close to the 10,000 level of concern. My estrogen level was now at 8376... and so, in preparation for a trigger shot any day, they decided to reduce my Gonal F stimulant injection today, to 150IU... and then asked me back tomorrow for yet another round of tests.

So here I lie...feeling awkward in my skin, my stomach tight and feeling as though it is filled with air and ready to pop. I wish I could fall asleep early, but I hardly see that being a possibility... the reality is, I am likely going to be lying here on my back, unable to get comfortable until my alarm clock goes off tomorrow morning to go through the whole routine again.

2 Comments:

  • Good luck! Sounds like you are really close to triggering! Drink lots of gatorade and water to help stave off the ohss. can't wait for an update on retreival!

    FW

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:23 AM  

  • hiya. hope you're feeling well. i'm cycling with you :)
    hugs

    By Blogger YouGuysKnow, at 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home