Why Me? Now What? (A Personal Journey Through Infertility)

Friday, June 30, 2006

The Cat's Out of the Bag

Well... I did it... I managed to keep my deliriously exciting news a secret from my husband for 5 long days, and last night; at his birthday dinner... I shared the fact that we were parents.

The last 4 days have been a blur... still not feeling 100% after being told that in fact I was suffering with the Ovarian Hyper Stimulation. Mike's efforts to pick up more Gatorade haven't seemed to do a whole lot to make me feel better, but hey... it's worth it right?

I have been CONSUMED by my battle to receive Beta Tests from my RE... something that apparently seemed completely unreasonable by the clinic's nurses, despite the thousands of dollars I spent to see those glorious numbers confirm I am indeed pregnant. Luckily, my family doctor was able to understand where I was coming from, and offered up the requisitions to get the blood draws necessary to confirm that things were looking alright.

So... while I am waiting for the results of my second test taken Thursday, delayed by the holiday weekend... I am left to obsess over the results of the test taken on Tuesday. My HCG levels were 355 parts per million, and that was my confirmation... we were officially pregnant!

His birthday dinner went well... I had prepared a basic birthday card and a Gift Certificate for Home Depot, so he could buy a couple of new toys, and he opened those first. Then there was a second gift I had wrapped, with the card placed inside... the card read "There's a buzz around town" with two bumble bees on the front... then, when you opened it, it had been pre-written "Your the best daddy in the world, happy birthday!"... I added a couple of words, so it would read "You are going to be the best daddy in the world, happy birthday" He opened it and just stared at me blankly, almost scared to believe the news. In the box to which the card was attached, was a Grover puppet that instantly put a smile on Mike's face. Over 2 years ago, when we first talked about starting a family, we saw the little puppet at the store and he had immediately picked it up and started talking to our "imaginary baby"... at the time we thought making a baby in a matter of weeks... a month or two tops. So I picked up the puppet when he wasn't looking and bought it as a surprise when that day came... and now 2 years later, I finally was able to pull him out of the sock drawer!!!

He wanted to know every detail of my last week since seeing the ink appear gloriously in the second window of the pregnancy test... he was disappointed that I had learned this news and hadn't shared it for so long... almost jealous that I had this wonderful news to myself for so many days... but he admitted that his birthday was the most special ever, and that he was thrilled knowing he would never forget the day he learned he was officially a daddy.

2 Comments:

  • Congratulations Kim! I've been checking up on your journey since you had that encounter with the magician a few months ago. March will be here in the blink of an eye.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:05 PM  

  • Wooohoooo! That is so cool. Congratulations!

    By Blogger Debbi, at 8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home