Why Me? Now What? (A Personal Journey Through Infertility)

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Friends in High Places

Ok... maybe they aren't FRIENDS... but when I arrived shortly after 8:00am for this morning's blood work and meeting with the nurse regarding my protocol... I certainly had a friend in my corner.

Although the clinic doesn't officially open until 8:00am I was surprised to find at least 2 dozen other women sitting there waiting their turn for their blood work. Since it was a first come/first serve system, I searched for a chair to settle in and read. As I checked in giving my name at the front desk, the nurse grabbing charts behind the receptionist looked up to catch my eye. She quickly came around the corner and announced my name.

WHAT???? Everyone looked at me like I had won some sort of prize as the nurse took me into a small office off the waiting room.

This was the nurse that first called me to tell me I was ready to start IVF! She had wanted to meet me, and was excited to introduce herself to me, since she was still overjoyed at the prospect of our being successful with IVF and being a story to re-tell at next year's charity event. She pulled out a post-it note pad and scribbled out her phone number... the coveted direct line! (Normally the clinic is so busy that you are forced to leave messages in voice mail and have someone call you back.) Then, rather than send me back to the waiting room to sit with the others, she took me down the long hallway to the blood/draw station and told the nurse there to process me next.

At 13 seconds after 8:00am I was on my way down the stairs and on my way. I had fully expected to be there for at least an hour, so this was simply amazing!!!!

The rest of the day went nearly as well, I met my mom for lunch, which was nice... she has been SUCH a support to me. We have had our differences over the years, and she lives a city 3000 miles away, so we don't see eachother much, but by some stroke of luck she happened to be in town for the next 2 months... and just as I needed her the most, there she was again.

By the time I was done lunch, I had received the call from the doctor's in regards to my blood test results. 368... my estrogen levels! The voice on the other side of the phone said that Dr. Greene was pleased with how my body was reacting to the stimulants, and didn't see a need to increase my dosage. I will go back on Sunday, for another Ultrasound and Blood work, where at that time we will be able to see how my follicles are growing!!!!

Today was a good day, I felt support all around me, and knew that the people in my life wouldn't let me down... they were there for me; which was a great feeling, I'm ready to keep plugging away, knowing that I am in good hands.

2 Comments:

  • You are one lucky lady! Getting the direct line? Jumping in front of the other ladies? This cycle just oozes good luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:48 PM  

  • Wow, that's so awesome...hope your whole cycle goes as smoothly! I'm rooting for you! :)

    By Blogger Dawn, at 7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home